Please don’t stop reading . . .

I promise I’ll get better at updating in a more timely manner. Babies are very demanding. More than I ever could have imagined.

My days, though not nearly as routine as this description will suggest, go something like this:

6:30 a.m. C is pretty much awake for the day. Yells from his bassinet by way of alarm. Needs to eat. Wants diaper changed. I whine (to myself), haul my carcass from the bed, and change his diaper. Then I lay back in bed on my side, and attempt to feed C and get a couple more winks. Don’t judge me for catching some zzz’s with the baby in the bed. You do what you have to when you’re incredibly sleep deprived. Most times, he’s agreeable to some side-lying nursing, but on days that he is not, C and I get up so Sean can sleep a little longer.

7:30 a.m. C wants to eat again. This is an hourly thing some mornings. Yeah, I don’t get much done these days.

8-10:30 a.m. C is more or less awake during this time these days. So, I usually plop him in his little newborn lounger while I have breakfast and throw his diapers in the washing machine. I like to narrate my activities to C while I do them. To be a fly on the wall, I probably sound like a crazy lady. Oh well.

Around 10:30, it’s time for C’s morning siesta. His naps vary in length, but if I’m lucky, he’ll sleep til noon or so. I try and grab a shower and finish the laundry during this time.

At lunch time, Sean usually comes home, and I feed C. Then C will be alert for a while after he eats.

In the afternoon, I load C into his stroller and leash up Madame Phineas and go for a walkabout around the neighborhood for an hour or so. C sometimes sleeps the whole time. Other time, he shrieks, and I feel like a siren walking down the sidewalk. Sigh.

The evenings are often the most stressful for me. C gets really fussy. I’m not sure it rises to the level of colic, but he sure likes to shriek. Sometimes he’s gassy, but mostly, it’s like he can’t get himself to sleep in the early evening, and he’s positively inconsolable. Nothing makes him happy. And then, he’ll finally fall asleep. Sometimes mid-shriek. It’s bizarre.

Sometimes in the evening, I like to give C a bath with some lavendar essential oil in the water to soothe him. Sometimes, he likes it; other times, not so much. It’s a crap shoot. The bath does seem to help him fall asleep more easily. He also seems to like his little baby massage I give him after his bath.

Around 8, he’s usually out for the evening, and his first stretch of sleep is usually the longest. As a result, I’ve been going to bed really early as well so I can take advantage of 4 straight hours of sleep in a row.

He’s up around 12 usually for a feeding and diaper change. Then again around 2 or 3, then again around 4 or 5. Then it all starts again at 6:30 a.m. When I write out what I do all day, it really doesn’t seem like all that much, and yet, I find I am always behind the eight ball with straightening up the house and doing laundry (that isn’t C’s diapers).

Well, this was certainly a boring post. I promise to liven it up next time and regale you all with a more exciting tale.


2 thoughts on “Please don’t stop reading . . .

  1. S- I *have* to figure out how to get these comments to go to my email! I just discovered this trick on vacation. Seeing this earlier would have saved me two weeks of unsoothable (is that a word?) babeh. C love, love, loves being worn around. Total lifesaver. Plus, I can do laundry! Whee!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s